First of all, I'm not going to "tag" anyone because I have a feeling that things are about to get nasty on several fronts, and people who get vacations may actually want to take them before their employer decides to cancel them.
Len at Dark Bilious Vapors tagged me
, and I appreciate that, but it's about childhood, and I had a good time as a child.The ChildHood Meme: What 5 Things Do You Miss About Your Childhood?
1. The number one has to belong to Barry, a German Shepherd who was a companion and guardian for most of my childhood. Instead of sheep, Barry took care of my brothers and me.
2. Being a child in Hamilton, New York when your Dad was the projectionist at the local theater. Hamilton provided leaves in the Fall and snow in the Winter. Halloween was what people today would like to believe it always had been.
3. Being a child living on the shore of Cinco Bayou. You spent most of the Summer in the water with fish, dolphins, and a dog to occupy your time. There was a boat for water skiing, and adults who provided no end of entertainment.
4. Then there was the time in the woods with lizards and snakes, access to knives and hatchets, and no one looking over your shoulder.
5. Finally there was the ability to use your own imagination to create your own games. To build tree houses and forts, to create bows and arrows with some string, a sapling, and a palmetto for arrows.
Unfortunately, today everything is structured and scheduled for children; they don't get to just goof off out of the sight of adults.
If anyone would like to pick up the meme and carry forward, do so with my blessing. I would also note that this was about what I miss, so I won't go into the "White" and "Colored" signs or the fear of nuclear war and polio, that were also part of my childhood.