In another tragedy, The Beaumont Enterprise
reports: Five die in Beaumont apartment
. The cause of death is suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning as the result of using a generator.
Who would push their lawnmower into their living room and start it? Carbon monoxide poisoning is a leading cause of death following hurricanes. Is lighting important enough to die for, because most of the generators sold are not big enough to power a refrigerator or air conditioner?
I have a generator. It is big enough to power both a refrigerator and an 8,000 btu air conditioner. I'm building a pad to put it on and running wiring to separate sockets inside to be used in an emergency.
The booklet that comes with generators details all of the places you shouldn't put the generator. During the run-up to hurricanes in Florida at every press conference there is a run down on places you shouldn't put a generator. Nothing seems to work, because people are continuing to die. It's senseless.